Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Waldorf Salad for the 21st Century

I love cabbage. Really. Green, red, I love it all. My mom used to pack wedges of it in my high school lunches and I ate it without shame, despite the heckling. My current family is slowly warming to my cabbage love, but making salad like this one certainly speed the process!

Waldorf is one of those salads that got stuck in the time-warp of the 1970s - thick mayonnaise dressing with lots of sweetness that often made it cloying and reverse mouth-puckering for me - too sweet! It was an attempt to make fruits and vegetables more palatable by adding, of course, more sugar. Here I've toned it all done with a honey mustard vinaigrette (hey, it's vegan!) and added the cabbage for a little more veggie heft. The raisins didn't make it to the party simply because they weren't in the pantry and sometimes (often!) I'm lazy. But feel free to add them in if you like or any other dried fruit of that size - blueberries, cherries, cranberries - all would work well.

It's apple season in much of the Western Hemisphere so when you're tired of eating them plain as a snack, make this updated Waldorf salad with those delicious, crisp and juicy apples. Your taste buds (and diners) will thank you!

Waldorf Salad for the 21st Century

2 cups green cabbage, shredded
2 apples, cored and seeded, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped in 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
1 oz blue cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup walnuts

Dressing
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon honey
pinch salt

Combine dressing and set aside. Combine vegetables in large bowl and toss with dressing. Eat immediately or refrigerate to allow flavors to marry.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Greek Salad with Hummus Dressing at Eats Well With Others
Apricot Pistachio Squares at Smitten Kitchen
Mulo Shaag Bhaja/Sauteed Radish Greens at ECurry!

No comments: